Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Life in a Crowded Place

If I am completely honest with myself, I will admit that this past year was not my most successful year in terms of building a community of learners.  There were many things that I typically include in my classroom that seemed to disappear from my toolbox.  Blame it on switching schools, or switching grades, or moving across the country.  Whatever it was, I was not at my best.  I am determined to change that this year.

About three years ago, one of my mentors in Arizona gave me a book called Life in a Crowded Place by Ralph Peterson.  I read about half-way through, and then the year started and it was left on the book shelf (as so many books are).  I picked this book up again yesterday and began to read.  Many people would consider the ideas that he suggests as "fluff" or that it buys into that touchy-feely type of teaching (which typically caters more to elementary teachers).  My initial reaction was exactly this, and I was hesitant to take it seriously, especially for junior high.  However, my mentor was a junior high teacher and she recommended it, so I had to at least try.  Boy was I wrong.  I am a firm believer that good teaching practices can be applied universally, with a few modifications obviously.  Consequently, I truly believe this book is applicable regardless of the grade level.  The focus is on human survival in a community.  What kinds of things do we as human beings do in order to be successful in a community environment?  What types of things are unique to each culture, and yet strangely similar world-wide?  What makes us successful when trying to survive in a "crowded place?"  These are the things that he studies in depth, and then applies to a classroom environment.

My favorite part so far is his opening paragraph:
Life in classrooms is an intense social experience.  For six hours a day, week after week, month after month, one teacher and anywhere from twenty-two to thirty-four students (sometimes more) live together in a space the size of a large living room.  The older the students, the larger the furniture, the tighter the space. 

Ain't that the truth. 

In the first section of the book he focuses on creating a caring place within the classroom in order to create a successful intense social experience.  Some of the things he discusses are to include, ceremony, ritual, rite, celebrations, conversations, play, routines, jobs and residencies.  I have only made it through this section, but have already been reminded of so many things I did not include in my classroom.  For example, using ceremony in the classroom for small things such as opening the day.  These ceremonies can be anything from a read aloud to a class meeting to a song or dance.  Now, as a junior high teacher, I would find it nearly impossible to open  my day up with a dance if I wanted to be taken seriously at all (a kindergarten teacher on the other hand . . . ).  However, a short read aloud may be just enough to get them focused on the tasks at hand for the day.  I am also contemplating the idea of a 10 minute class meeting that includes some of the following:
  • Outline for the day
  • School or community announcements
  • Acknowledging and appreciating someone at home or in the class
  • Goal-setting
My only concern is time (per usual).  With two classes, should I incorporate this into both, along with an end of the day routine?  I feel that it would definitely increase the buy-in from my students, as well as build community.  But I've tried this before and I ALWAYS run out of time.  I am going to continue reading and developing some of these ideas before next week.  I hope the end of the book is as helpful as the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment