Monday, September 17, 2012

The constant adventures of teaching boys

Last Friday my kids are in the middle of writing workshop and everyone is spread out all over the room:  laying on the floor with pillows, sitting in the hallway having conferences, curled up in the corner with their notebook, comfy as comfy can be.  The music is playing, the mood is peaceful and I'm having a conference with one of the girls, when I hear this strange gurgling coming from the front of the room.  I pause for a second, look around and chalk it up to some weird chair noise.  A few minutes later, the same noise comes from the same spot.  Hmmmmm.  I wonder if someone is having some gastrointestinal problems, but the kids are ignoring it, so I let it go.

All of a sudden . . . an enormous FAAARRRTTTT comes from the front of the room.   

I try to ignore it, but I look up and the smallest kid in my class is literally rolling on the ground where he was working, laughing as hard as he can.  Again, trying to ignore it I turn to talk to the student I'm working with, when I hear this suppressed giggling coming from the entire front of the room.  They start giggling, I start giggling, and soon we're all guffawing hysterically.  The more we try to contain it, the worse it gets.

Another boy walks by as things are quieting down and says, "Hey Javi, I wonder how that would've tasted?"
Carlos walks by and mutters, "Scrrruuumptious."  Uproarious laughter again.

I love teaching boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment